Pages

Friday, June 3, 2011

Memorial Day Weekend

What a crazy weekend!  The 4th Annual Eadsfest was held on Saturday.  For those of you not familiar, this is a Beer Olympics competition modeled after Beer Fest, the movie.  The Drunkenbauers came in 3rd place, as they are destined to every year.  I only competed the first year back in 2008, and it was a lot of fun.  By 2009, I was pregnant, and I chose to referee.  Yeah, I won't ever do that again.  The sole blame for that goes to the Drunkenbauers, my own family!  I say this with all the love in my heart; they are competitive and obnoxious, and didn't have lot of respect for the referees.  It was so bad that I refused to go anywhere near them after the first game.  I didn't compete in 2010 because I had a 5 week old baby, and well that says it all.  And this year?  Simple, I can't drink.  Two glasses of wine puts me under now a days. An all day beer drinking competition would land me in the hospital.  Not to mention trying to take care of 13 month old with a massive hangover the next day.  That is just not happening.  This year's team consisted of my brother Seth, my sis in law Paula, Scott, Jon, and our friend Paul.  They had a great time, and while I was dreading them coming home drunk, they regaled me with stories of the day and just made me laugh.  They continued the spirit of competition when they got home with Seth, Scott, and Jon taking part in a McDonald's 50 count chicken mcnugget challenge.  I still don't know who won, but it was fun to watch.  I am just picturing the faces of the people at Mickey D's as they all these drunk people walk in and order a total of 150 nuggets.  So, what did I do while they were at Eadsfest?  I took my sweet boy on a wagon ride and then Tara and I took Dylan to Lily's pizza for dinner.  I think I got the better end of this deal.

On Memorial Day, we went to the neighborhood pool with Jon, Tara, and the Eads family.  I learned some things about the kind of mother I am that day.  First, Dylan's first experience in a pool a few weeks did not go over very well, so I knew we were in for a challenge.  I held Dylan and inched my way in.  We started with my feet in the pool, then moved to sitting on a stair, where it seems we sat for a very long time.  Then Steph and I sang The Wheels on the Bus very loudly and I was able to move the rest of the way into the pool without any problems.  Here's the thing about Dylan...there are 2 things which can defuse any fussy/scary situation pretty quickly...a blanket and the Wheels on the Bus.  It is his favorite song and he gets SO happy when I sing it to him.  So sure enough, as soon as we started singing, he cracked a smile and forgot all about his fear.  From then on, he just wanted to be in the pool.  So I learned that I don't care how embarrassing it is, if it calms my child, I am going to do it.  Another thing I learned about myself...I am officially old.  There were some teenage boys that were throwing a football around and got too close to us a couple times, and I gave them "the look".  Hello, there is BABY right in front of you?  They politely looked at me and said "sorry ma'am."  MA'AM????  Who are you talking to?  THEN later, Me, Dylan, and Eads were standing around when a football wizzed past my head, and I heard, "watch out for the old people behind you."  Seriously?  I am "old people" now?  Okay, I will say I was a little hard on the other teenagers who started to throw a football threw our group, who again included a baby and Lily, who is 3 years old.  But in my defense, we had asked them to move over several times before I got snappy.    And yes, as I am writing this, I am laughing at the whole experience because the thing is?  I don't really care all that much.  I actually find it humorous.  So I learned that I am "old people" and I am "that" mother that yells at teenagers when there is too much roughhousing.

So I hope everyone had a great weekend!  It really was a busy, but fun weekend for us.  Enjoy the pictures!

After Eadsfest...Scott and Seth in the middle of the nugget challenge.

Mom, I am trying to eat.  Please get the camera out of my face.

Wagon ride!

Success!  We are in the pool!





Eads family!

Uncle Jon and Aunt Tara

Playing with Daddy and Uncle Jon

Lily and Scott having a snack

You see those boys to the right?  They are the ones that called me "old people"

Hanging with Daddy

3 comments:

  1. sounded like a very busy and fun w/e!
    welcome to the "Old Age" group Brooke! I can remember the first timed someone called me "maam"...NOT a good feeling @ all

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like it was a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww this just makes me laugh and miss my Brookie! Glad you guys had a wonderful time at the pool and that is was a successful Dylan outing! Go Mommy Brookie!

    ReplyDelete