Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Oh the Changes!

This afternoon as I was driving home from work, a sweet little voice rang out from the back seat.  Like music to my ears, he called, "mama".  My heart just simply melted, and then I looked in the mirror and started laughing.  Dylan had his hands in the air and was bouncing (as much as he can) and dancing to the music on the radio.  I was not expecting this...the kid normally just sits back there and looks out the window while sucking his thumb and hanging on to his blankie.  So he entertained me the rest of the way home.

I find myself more and more entertained these days by Dylan.  He is talking all the time.  His favorite words are: all done (a-ga), mine, good, bye bye, hey, mama, and da-da.  He has been saying mama for awhile.  But he calls for me now; when he sees me at daycare, when he is upset, and sometimes when he wants my attention.

He mimics everything...he puts his hands up in the air when you yell touchdown and he doesn't necessarily need music to truly break it down and shake his bum.  All he needs to be entertained is a ball.  He walks very well holding onto the furniture or my hand, and has walked a few steps independently; but much to Scott's disappointment, we haven't been able to capture this on video.  He loves to skype with Grandma and Paw Paw, Nana and Pops, and Daddy, when he is out of town.

And my personal favorite...he thinks everything is a phone.  He holds up the TV remote, the monitor, his toys, to his ear and has a conversation (since it is babble, the subject matter is a mystery to everyone but him).  Then, he hands the "phone" to me for me to talk.

He has begun to assert his independence.  He doesn't like to be held all the time anymore.  He likes to be free to check out his surroundings.  He is drawn to all things that don't belong to him, most especially, the TV remote.  When something is taken away from him or he doesn't get what he wants, he pitches a temper tantrum.  Sooooooooo, hello, time-out.  When he misbehaves, he spends 1 minute facing a specific corner. Considering he faces the corner and doesn't crawl away tells me he understands this a punishment.  This may be very un-mommy like behavior, but I can't help but giggle a little at time-out.  He looks and sounds so pitiful, that it is almost comical.

The changes just keep on coming!  The first year of his life, I was both excited and anxious to see him changing so much.  I find that so far, in his second year of life, it is nothing but excitement for me.  One little voice this afternoon got me thinking about all of his newness.  I wanted to share the perfect sweetness, that is my son, with y'all!

1 comment:

  1. oh, so exciting for you as parents to see dylan grow as an individual. It is fascinating, frustrating, comical and of course entertaining. Enjoy these next years, they are the "bestest"! Your camera will get a LOT of use!
    grandma marie

    ReplyDelete